[arch-dev-public] signoffs are dead

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Mon Jul 4 05:19:15 UTC 2016

On 04.07.2016 06:37, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> I don't see how it makes signoffs useless. Instead of "works for me", I
> got "something is broken" message either via bug tracker or IRC/e-mail.
> The result is the same – the package is fixed or pulled out from testing.

Sure, we don't need signoffs for that. Signoff are intended to show the
maintainer that people have tested their package and that it worked for
them. Without a signoff all you can do is wait and if you don't hear
anything that can either mean that there are no problems or that nobody
had enough time to test the package yet. Signoffs thus provide the
explicit positive feedback that you can't get any other way.

I think explicit positive feedback is much better than implicit
timeouts. I really wouldn't know how much time people need to test stuff
and even if you ask them, they might just be busy, on vacation or just
sick. Also as you can see, apparently the current testers (devs/TUs)
don't do as much testing as they used to, but how would you know that if
there were no signoffs to begin with?

Florian