[arch-dev-public] dropping mkinitcpio-nfs-utils

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Jul 4 17:16:46 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'd like to drop mkinitcpio-nfs-utils from the repos. I suspect (but
would be happy to be proven wrong) that nobody uses this package. It's
based on code extracted from klibc which, while still a somewhat active
project, is lacking sorely in features in the network stack and NFS
itself (supporting only nfs3).

If someone were interested in reviving this in the future, I'd suspect
that it would be best to start from the ground up with a systemd-based
initramfs, using nfs-utils and systemd-networkd. The best part of this
deal would be that someone who actually uses this setup would then be
maintaining the code!

Any objections?