[arch-dev-public] Me and my packages: A sad truth

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Jul 30 11:48:26 UTC 2016

Hello guys,

for over a year and a half, I have barely been able to do any packaging.
Between job, kids, real life and some time to relax, only a few hours of
time remains here and there. Sadly, this time is not enough to be able
to contribute significantly to Arch Linux.

Until recently, I always thought to myself that I'll return to packaging
very soon. The reality is that this won't happen. This is a hard step
for me, but I have to be honest to my fellow Arch Developers, the users
and most importantly, to myself.

Just a moment ago, I orphaned all my packages except for joe and ovmf,
which I plan on taking care of for now, since they'll certainly be
dropped from the repos if I don't (I think I can handle two packages).
For the time being, I won't be taking any new packages. I'll also see if
I can unsubscribe from all bug reports.

However, I am not gone completely:

* I will still keep my Arch Linux package signing master key and take
care of signing and revoking developer and trusted user keys.
* I will keep an eye on release engineering and espeically the new
netboot system I just set up recently.
* I will always remain available to you all via this list, the private
dev list, IRC, XMPP and e-mail for advice and help.

My heart beats for Arch and its community and I doubt that will ever
change. I am sorry that I let you guys down. Facing this sad reality is
a first step towards improving this, and I certainly hope that at some
point, I will return to a more active role.

Best regards
Thomas