[arch-dev-public] DKMS modules for virtualbox

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 6 11:41:42 UTC 2016

Why are we no longer shipping virtualbox modules pre-build?  What are
the advantages from a user perspective?  Is this happening for any other
modules?

Bad things I see:
1) pre pacman-5.0 updates unsupported without any prior notification
2) notification of need for linux headers is only given (optional dep)
in update that needs them for building.  There is no reason given why
they are optional dependencies.  There is no notification that the build
did not go ahead at the end of the transaction.
3) Update is now a lot slower (and this is repeated over a lot of users)
4) additional download/install size (linux headers + module source).

Is there a single advantage for our *users* using the two kernels in [core]?

Allan