[arch-dev-public] Consensus: DKMS modules

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Tue Mar 15 07:50:43 UTC 2016

On 15.03.2016 08:26, Maxime Gauduin wrote:
> It really doesn't take that much time to build them, even on modest
> machines (got nvidia, bbswitch, vboxhost and cdemu on my laptop).

I really feel like vbox takes way too long to build. It's probably not
longer than 15 seconds, but it produces so much output that it feels
slow (well and because it is when compared to how fast the archive would
be extracted).

> That being said, I feel that what Sebastien proposed, ie having built
> modules only for linux and linux-lts, and DKMS everywhere else would be a
> good compromise IMHO.

Please go that route. We are a binary distro and I'd prefer to have as
many packages prebuilt as possible. I'm always reminded of that when I
build perl modules from cpan. Installing 20 modules from the repos is
done in like 10 seconds while building them takes something like 1 to 10
minutes (yay tests).

Florian