[arch-dev-public] Consensus: DKMS modules

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Mar 15 16:16:44 UTC 2016

On 15.03.2016 01:06, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 14/03/16 09:07, Allan McRae wrote:
>> On 13/03/16 00:52, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
>>> Please note that as an ideal target, I would have all our kernel
>>> modules
>>> available via dkms _and_ via prebuilt modules for each kernel flavor
>>> we
>>> provide. I read on the dev IRC that few modules could only be shipped
>>> from
>>> sources. Not sure of that btw.
>>>
>>> For example, we could, for simplicity says that we provide pre-built
>>> modules
>>> only for the main kernel and dkms for all others kernels.
>>>
>>> What I would like is a team consensus/decision on how we handle
>>> kernel oot
>>> modules not complains directed on virtualbox only.
>>

>> I vote for binary modules for all kernels in [core] and dkms versions.
>> Kernels outside of [core] can have binary modules provided at the
>> maintainer's choice.
>>

> We are going to need more opinions here to build a consensus...

I agree. There is no point in having every user building the exact same
module on every update. That's why we package precompiled packages. This
looks more like a workaround of how kernel and module updates are
handled atm. E.g. the kernel stays in testing for a long time and is not
put into staging first so packagers can rebuild their modules.

Greetings,

Pierre