[arch-dev-public] test-sec-flags announcement

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed May 25 01:34:47 UTC 2016

Hi all,

There has been a group of people doing some analysis on the performance
impact of various security flags we can use in our packaging.  They are
wanting to gather performance benchmarks from a bunch of people so we
can have an informed discussion about their inclusion.  See below.

I'll wait and see how many responses they get from this post before I
post this as a news item too.

Cheers,
Allan

--ANNOUNCEMENT--

I am thrilled to announce that test-sec-flags has been completed and is
ready for download and use.

What is test-sec-flags?

Inspired by discussions on arch-general, test-sec-flags was created to
test the performance impact of various security-oriented compilation and
linking flags. The goal is to determine if these flags can be the new
default for all Arch Linux packages. Preliminary results suggest that
the performance impact is almost nonexistent, but I would like to
collect and compare more results before moving forwards.

How do I use it?

See the README for installation and usage instructions.The results
subdirectory contains instructions on how to pull out the relevant
statistics from the result files.

Where do I obtain it?

https://github.com/pid1/test-sec-flags

My sincerest thanks to anthraxx, strcat, sangy, and rgacogne for their
invaluable assistance.

Patches welcome.

Cheers,
pid1