[arch-dev-public] Responsive views for Forums and Wiki

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Aug 30 05:32:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

for the last few days I had been working on a more mobile friendly
view of our Wikis and Forums. These have just been deployed. Here is
what changed:

While it's not perfect on small screens it should at least be way more
readable on your mobile phones. Let me know of any issues though.

Wiki:
* Updated to MediaWiki 1.29.1
* Removed our fork of the MonoBook skin
* Introduce a new "ArchLinux" extension which injects some styles and
our navigation bar independent of the skin. This was quite a lot of
work to figure out, but future updates should be way easier now.
* The default skin is Vector; MonoBook is still available and can be
enabled in your personal settings
* The MobileFrontend extension has been removed (So we have a branded
view for mobile as well)
* PR see https://github.com/archlinux/archwiki/pull/9/files

Forums:
* Created a github repo at https://github.com/archlinux/archbbs
* PR at https://github.com/archlinux/archbbs/pull/1
* Some docker compose configuration to simplify development (similar
to the on in the wiki)

In addition to this I have been working on a re-implementation of
https://www.archlinux.de. Part of this is a new more mobile friendly
design. Especially the navigation which moves the menu entries into a
so called Hamburger menu on smaller screens is still missing from the
implementation mentioned above.

I plan to extract these "somehow" so we can use a common navigation in
all our websites. At least a generated snippet we can copy into our
projects.

Greetings,

Pierre