[arch-dev-public] 2017 repository cleanup

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 18 21:29:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:54:37 +0100
Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public
<arch-dev-public at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> Recently I've spent a bit of time on the train so I spent that on
> writing a script (of questionable quality) for generating packages
> cleanup list. The main difference from the "unneeded orphans" report
> is that it also includes orphans that require only other orphans and
> additionally generates possible maintainers for required but
> unmaintained packages.
>
> The script can be found here[1] and I will probably improve it a bit
> on the next journey.
>
> Note that it doesn't consider optdepends when checking if orphan is
> needed only by other orphans. Max. 3 packages requiring given orphan
> are listed next to possible maintainer. It also ignores repo hierarchy
> because it's just a theater these days.
>
> Please look at both lists and adopt what your packages are using or
> you're personally interested in. I will drop whatever makes sense in
> January.
>
> Bartłomiej

Hi Bartłomiej,

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I've adopted lib32-mikmod, libiec61883, libsoxr, python2-musicbrainz2,
schroedinger, vdpauinfo, and mediainfo-gui.

I will drop in the near future:
- faience-icon-theme as it's getting very old, faenza-icon-theme can
  probably go down with it
- vbam-*, we have mgba which is far superior and doesn't use wxwidgets
  (ugh), gtkglextmm can therefore be dropped as well
- bzr-fastimport, no interest in maintaining that one anymore, who
  still uses bazaar anyway (cough canonical cough)

Cheers,
--
Maxime