[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Mirror load distribution

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 1 13:50:54 UTC 2017

Em janeiro 30, 2017 19:13 Florian Pritz via arch-dev-public escreveu:

> My plan is to keep this because I just remove the sorting by score. The
> score will still be used to filter mirrors which have a very high one
> (currently >100). Such mirrors are either very, very slow or out of
> date. Using the score (mirror status) just to filter the list should
> return a list of useable mirrors.
>
> Without this option, archweb would return a list that contains all
> mirrors, even if they are out of date.

Florian,

        Django has support for GeoIP. We could use this information and
        return different mirror lists based on the ip of the client
        accessing the mirror list page. Most likely (but not always) the
        servers on the person country are faster than the others.

        I was thinking the same regarding the score, keep it for our own
        metrics, but not use it for sorting. If we can leverage GeoIP with
        it, it would be great. Otherwise, a random list is ok by me, even
        though it might not be great for the users.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini