[arch-dev-public] Mesa, Nvidia and libglvnd (the good, the bad and the ugly) :)

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 19:17:07 UTC 2017

Hi,

Thanks for thinking about libglvnd support in Arch. ;)

Le 12/02/2017 à 19:22, Laurent Carlier via arch-dev-public a écrit :

> Bumblebee will not work anymore with Nvidia and Mesa, but only with prime (1).

This sentence doesn’t really make sense. Bumblebee doesn’t work with
PRIME, they are two different solutions to Optimus support under Linux.
Some more correct statements:

– Bumblebee will still work with VirtualGL, but some changes will be
required for primus [1] (I’m not sure since I did not have time to test
it yet, but it could be as simple as patching bumblebee/primusrun for
exporting __GLVND_DISALLOW_PATCHING=1 when running optirun with primus
or primusrun, anyway I asked the person who fixed it in Fedora what
changes this has required);

– what will change with Nvidia PRIME support is that it would be easier
to switch from a X server running on Intel to a one running on Nvidia,
like nvidia-prime allows on Ubuntu, because you won’t have to switch
libgl packages on-the-fly. That’s a big win from an usability POV.

> Nvidia-340xx driver will still work with bumblebee but will need a specific
> (non libglvnd?) Mesa version.

Hum… What makes nvidia-340xx situation different from nvidia-304xx, and
without even talking of Bumblebee, does it even work with libglvnd?
AFAIK, the support was introduced in 361 series, and wasn’t backported
to the 340xx branch.

Regarding Bumblebee, I don’t think it would require anything specific,
but I should be able to test that and work around once everything will
have landed. ;)

Regards,
Bruno

[1] https://github.com/amonakov/primus/issues/193