[arch-dev-public] OpenSSL 1.1.0

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Thu Feb 23 22:36:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:29:17PM +0100, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > I will push the first set of packages to [staging]. Please avoid doing
> > other rebuilds until this one is done.
>
> Are you interested in details?

FWIW, Debian stretch has openssl 1.1.0, so I guess they had to adapt lots
of packages.

> Mariadb is still unsolved. There is a ticket in upstream jira [0] but it does
> not carry anything useful. There's a reference for a review, but I could not
> find the patch in mail archive. Will try to contact the developers and
> express our interest...

The debian package uses `-DWITH_SSL=bundled` [1] to avoid linking with the
system-wide openssl.  Not a great solution, though.

> Mupdf is a burden to maintain due to build system, bundled libraries and
> static linking. Looks like upstream is not yet interested in openssl 1.1.0...
> As I do not use it currently this will move to [community] if no one
> steps up.

Can't you just drop the dependency on openssl?  What is it used for?
As far as I can tell, Debian does not build mupdf against openssl:

root at stretch:~# apt show mupdf
Package: mupdf
Version: 1.9a+ds1-4
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15), libfreetype6 (>= 2.6), libharfbuzz0b (>= 0.9.11), libjbig2dec0 (>= 0.11), libjpeg62-turbo (>= 1.3.1), libopenjp2-7 (>= 2.0.0), libx11-6, libxext6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0)
root at stretch:~# ldd /usr/lib/mupdf/mupdf-x11 | grep ssl
root at stretch:~# ldd /usr/lib/mupdf/mupdf-x11 | grep crypto
root at stretch:~#

I just tested building the package without openssl support (I had to patch
out references to openssl and libcrypto from Makerules, since openssl is
part of the base chroot when building), and it seems to work fine.

Baptiste

[1] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libmariadbclient18