[arch-dev-public] Shadowing i686, round 1 (arch-dev-public Digest, Vol 119, Issue 8)

Connor Behan connor.behan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 23:39:56 UTC 2017

On 05/01/17 04:08 PM, Bart?omiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2016-12-28 20:52, Bart?omiej Piotrowski wrote:
>> On 2016-12-12 21:51, Bart?omiej Piotrowski wrote:
>>> Let's see where we end up this time.
>> Round 2. It is apparent that majority of packagers participating in
>> discussion are for or not strongly against dropping i686.
>>
>> I guess no time frame will be good enough for some people, but I don't
>> want to rush too much. Although I agree with Gerardo that we should cut
>> out i686 from archiso, maybe starting from January build.
>>
>> About definitive end of i686 support, I think 9 months from now is
>> enough time to migrate existing installations to some different
>> distribution.
>>
>> What parts of our infrastructure will need to be upgraded to reflect
>> that? dbscripts, ABS (which sounds like another candidate for dropping
>> but let's talk about it another time) and devtools?
>>
>> Bart?omiej
>>
> Friendly reminder what I'm going to push through if nobody opposes.
>
> Bart?omiej
I'm not thrilled about having to migrate my old box that I use every now
and then to another distro but I'll manage.

What I want to verify is that the change you're pushing is the minimal
possible change to dbscripts, ABS and devtools per Florian's request,
right? For example, it's fine to delete the *-i686-build symlinks. But
archbuild should keep the part of its code that determines an arch from
$0 so that we are still future proof in supporting multiple architectures.