[arch-dev-public] Phasing out webkitgtk{,2}

keenerd keenerd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 23:46:19 UTC 2017

As the maintainer of one of those browsers, I'll also be prodding
upstream about the issue if it can't easily be updated.  The last time
this came up (Dec 2015), Xombrero's author said

> We briefly looked at the 2.x stuff but that would basically be a rewrite and even more unfortunate is that not all required hooks to make a “secure” browser are available.

He's an OpenBSD dev too, so it isn't like people have to explain the
usefulness of security to him.  We'll see how it goes.

Contacting upstream (either with patches or "hey, we are going to have
to remove your software from our repos") should be a fourth step on
the policy.

-Kyle
http://kmkeen.com