[arch-dev-public] Phasing out gstreamer0.10

Balló György ballogyor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:18:48 UTC 2017

Beside to WebkitGTK+, GStreamer 0.10 is unmaintained too. [1] The last
release was in 2012. Most of the applications are already ported to
GStreamer 1. The last major user is wxGTK, but an upstream patch is
available for GStreamer 1 support. [2]

Currently the following packages depending on GStreamer 0.10:

gstreamer0.10
├─gstreamer0.10-base
│ ├─farstream-0.1
│ ├─gstreamer0.10-bad
│ │ └─gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins
│ │   ├─deepin-music
│ │   └─farstream-0.1
│ ├─gstreamer0.10-base-plugins
│ │ ├─flumotion
│ │ ├─gcompris
│ │ ├─morituri
│ │ └─xfce4-mixer
│ ├─gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
│ │ └─farstream-0.1
│ ├─gstreamer0.10-good
│ │ ├─gstreamer0.10-good-plugins
│ │ │ ├─deepin-music
│ │ │ ├─farstream-0.1
│ │ │ ├─flumotion
│ │ │ ├─psimedia
│ │ │ └─soundconverter
│ │ └─whaawmp
│ ├─gstreamer0.10-mm
│ ├─gstreamer0.10-python
│ │ ├─arista
│ │ ├─deepin-music
│ │ ├─flumotion
│ │ ├─morituri
│ │ ├─soundconverter
│ │ └─whaawmp
│ ├─gstreamer0.10-ugly
│ │ └─gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins
│ │   ├─deepin-music
│ │   └─soundconverter
│ ├─morituri
│ ├─perl-gstreamer-interfaces
│ ├─psimedia
│ ├─wxgtk
│ │ ├─0ad
│ │ ├─aegisub
│ │ ├─audacity
│ │ ├─boinc
│ │ ├─dolphin-emu
│ │ ├─erlang
│ │ │ ├─couchdb
│ │ │ ├─ejabberd
│ │ │ ├─elixir
│ │ │ ├─erlang-cl
│ │ │ │ └─wings3d
│ │ │ ├─erlang-sdl
│ │ │ │ └─wings3d
│ │ │ ├─erlang-unixodbc
│ │ │ │ └─ejabberd
│ │ │ ├─rabbitmq
│ │ │ ├─rebar
│ │ │ ├─wings3d
│ │ │ └─yaws
│ │ ├─filezilla
│ │ ├─gnuplot
│ │ │ ├─python-gnuplot
│ │ │ └─python2-gnuplot
│ │ ├─hugin
│ │ ├─kicad
│ │ ├─lib32-wxgtk
│ │ │ └─pcsx2
│ │ ├─mediainfo-gui
│ │ ├─megaglest
│ │ ├─moneymanagerex
│ │ ├─poedit
│ │ ├─scummvm-tools
│ │ ├─springlobby
│ │ ├─vbam-wx
│ │ ├─veracrypt
│ │ ├─wxcam
│ │ ├─wxmaxima
│ │ ├─wxpython
│ │ │ ├─displaycal
│ │ │ ├─gnuradio-companion
│ │ │ ├─kicad
│ │ │ ├─playonlinux
│ │ │ ├─sk1
│ │ │ ├─wammu
│ │ │ └─wxpython2.8
│ │ │   ├─cycle
│ │ │   └─mayavi
│ │ └─wxsqlite3
│ └─wxgtk2.8
│   ├─amule
│   ├─codeblocks
│   ├─lib32-wxgtk2.8
│   ├─pgadmin3
│   ├─rapidsvn
│   ├─scorched3d
│   ├─truecrypt
│   ├─wxpython2.8
│   └─xchm
└─perl-gstreamer
  └─perl-gstreamer-interfaces

I think we could try to get rid from gstreamer0.10, so I propose to make a
TODO for these packages, similar to webkitgtk:
   - If it can be updated to GStreamer 1, do so.
   - Otherwise, if GStreamer is an optional dependency, build without it.
   - Otherwise, consider removing the package.

What do you think?

[1]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/gstreamer-announce/2013-March/000273.html
[2] https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/225