[arch-dev-public] Replacing qt5-webkit

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 21 13:37:40 UTC 2017

Continuing with the trend of replacing insecure packages: qt5-webkit has
been deprecated upstream for a long time already. It is still being
community released, but it is on life support with only build fixes, and
the webkit code itself hasn't been updated since 2013, so it's plagued
with security issues by now. The "official" replacement qtwebengine has
its own issues (eg. crashes on nouveau) and some projects are reluctant to
move to it.

In this case removing the package is out of the question, as some
important packages (such as Plasma) depend on it. Fontunately someone took
up the job of maintaining a fork [1] based on the latest webkit code. The
aim is to have this shipped with upstream Qt eventually, but that could
still be many months away.

I've packaged this fork as qt5-webkit-ng. It should be a drop-in
replacement for qt5-webkit, please test it and if it's good enough we can
consider replacing the old qt5-webkit package with it.

[1] https://github.com/annulen/webkit/wiki