[arch-dev-public] switching to systemd-stable

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Jul 1 17:22:19 UTC 2017

Hey all,

This should be pretty much a no-brainer, but wanted to be sure I wasn't
missing anything. Systemd upstream publishes a "systemd-stable" repo [1]
which branches at each tag and cherry-picks backports. I'd like to
switch our systemd package to this repo to avoid some of the duplication
of work that Jan, Christian and myself have done in the past. The repo
sees a bunch more activity than what our own backporting strategy has
been, and I see that as a positive.

One potentially bikeshed-worthy question is versioning. Do we count
commits and modify the pkgver every time we build from the repo, e.g.
233.23-1 (meaning pkgrel=1 of a v233 build containing 23 backports), or
do we simply keep the base pkgver true to upstream and increment pkgrel
every time we release, e.g. 233-5 (meaning pkgrel=5 of some build of the
v233 stable branch).

Regards,
Dave

[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd-stable