[arch-dev-public] Bringing Multipath TCP kernel (linux-mptcp) to [community]

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 8 13:59:32 UTC 2017

On 06/06/2017 10:58 PM, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Since a few years, I maintain a variant of the linux kernel in the AUR [1]
> that adds support for Multipath TCP [2].  The most recent version is based
> on linux 4.4, and the package I maintain tries to follow the "linux"
> package from [core] as much as possible.
>
> There is no short- or medium-term perspective to merge Multipath TCP
> upstream, so I would like to bring this package to [community].  There are
> already several kernel variants in the official repos, but I would like to
> get some feedback before adding another one.
>
> Thanks,
> Baptiste
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-mptcp/
> [2] http://www.multipath-tcp.org/

Just to add what has been said already.

The fact that there is no perspective of having multipath upstreamed is
the exact reason why we should not have it in repositories. It is a
niche that Arch does not target.

-ARCH and -lts kernels are self-explanatory. -hardened replaced the
grsecurity kernel and combines KSPP efforts with enormous Daniel's
knowledge (and there is more business to it that's out of scope for this
mailing list), -zen is desktop oriented and also maintained "upstream"
by heftig. This covers everything that the majority of our community
might want and I can't see what else could fit there.

Bartłomiej