[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Deprecate ABS?

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 25 11:24:05 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Allan complained yesterday that ABS is apparently broken. Turns out that
most likely it is broken at least since 2016-07-07.

The script received no changes since 2012-09-07 and the main advantage
it brings is an easy way to pull all PKGBUILDs. But we also provide
public Subversion and Git repositories. Initial svn checkout for
community and packages takes less than 3 minutes on my rather slow
connection (for European standards); obviously subsequent updates are
faster. Full git clone is slow, but shallow one takes ca. 10 seconds
(for both).

If someone needs to checkout just one package, svn has sparse checkouts
and for git, Dave wrote asp[1]. This brings the question, what is the
point of keeping it running?

Bartłomiej

[1] https://github.com/falconindy/asp