[arch-dev-public] [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Tue May 9 09:36:10 UTC 2017

On 09.05.2017 11:08, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
> poetry.
>
> ---

I'm not a poet, but let's try.

Also I'm not entirely sure if there is only one rsync endpoint. When
running `rsync rsync://rsync.archlinux.org` I see core, extra,
community, .., *svn endpoints. Maybe those need cleanup too.

---

Due to high maintenance cost of scripts related to the Arch Build
System, we have decided to deprecate the `abs` tool and thus rsync
as a way of obtaining PKGBUILDs.

The `asp` tool, available in [extra], provides similar functionality to
`abs`.  `asp export pkgname` can be used as direct alternative; more
information about its usage can be found in [the documentation][asp].
Additionally Subversion sparse checkouts, as described [here][svn], can
be used to achieve a similar effect.  For fetching all PKGBUILDs, the
best way is cloning the [svntogit][git] mirrors.

While the `extra/abs` package has been already dropped, the rsync
endpoint (rsync://rsync.archlinux.org/abs) will be disabled by the end
of the month.

[asp]: https://github.com/falconindy/asp/blob/master/man/asp.1.txt
[svn]: https://www.archlinux.org/svn/
[git]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/