[arch-dev-public] Kernel 4.11 status

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Thu May 11 21:58:37 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-05-07 at 21:54 +0200, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2017-05-06 08:28, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> > >
> > > I can't care less about binary modules that keep causing problems. +1
> > > for having 4.11 in [testing].
> > >
> > > Bartłomiej
> >
> > I disagree. We should not break [testing] on purpose. We actually want
> > people to use [testing] to look for unknown bugs. If we want to drop
> > support for the nvidia module that would be a different discussion.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Pierre
> >

> There is a difference between intentional breakage caused by our
> laziness (we could fix the code, but we did not) and some proprietary
> blob that we don't control. The bug is the driver itself.
>
> Bartłomiej

We should continue to make no difference between proprietary softwares and not
in our packaging quality as long as they are in our official repositories.

I didn't read a reason to rush on this before getting more feedback from
upstreams. Not to mention that the fix may finally land into the kernel
package, which is pretty open.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer