[arch-dev-public] Switching the bugtracker to Bugzilla

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 14 21:34:57 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-14 20:30, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> Used by several big projects such as Gnome, LLVM and Mozilla

GNOME will probably end up switching to Gitlab. (Not dismissing the fact
that bugzilla is rather popular choice.)

> # Migration
>
> There are several options for migrating the bug history to Bugzilla and a few options are under
> debate. (input welcome)

As I said multiple times on IRC, I'm for starting from scratch. There
are way too many inactive or/and incorrect bugs open, and honestly any
effort to review that list is a waste of time. With no bugs open we can
1) pretend everything works fine 2) hopefully avoid zombie-bugs
apocalypse that we have now. Flyspray could be mirrored with wget for
read-only version.

> Bugzilla has a concept of products with components, so for all our packages we can create a
> component counterpart. It should be possible to auto-assign bugs with the pkgname <-> maintainer
> information from archweb.

Packages come and go. Some never will have a bug reported because they
just work fine or nobody uses them. Component per package sounds
overboard unless it's going to be automated.

> * Arch packages (core/extra or split this up)
+1 for splitting.

> * Archweb (new)
> * Arch VM / Docker images (new)

These two are already primarily developed on GitHub and I think bugs
should be reported there as well.

Bartłomiej