[arch-dev-public] Replace Gentoo mime-types with Fedora mailcap?

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 19:24:20 UTC 2017

After seeing bug 54977[1] I've been investigating where our /etc/mime.types
comes from, and it's apparently from Gentoo[2] and hasn't been updated
since Oct 2012.

I would like to propose replacing mime-types with mailcap from Fedora[3],
which is still maintained; it fixes the above bug. It also provides
/etc/nginx/mime.types (conflicts with upstream NGINX, but defines many more
types) and /etc/mailcap (not used by anything we have?).

Thoughts? Objections? Should we also use the mailcap NGINX mime.types?

[1]: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54977
[2]: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-misc/mime-types
[3]: https://pagure.io/mailcap/tree/master