[arch-dev-public] systemd - move to base group and expect it to be installed?

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 12 19:27:55 UTC 2017

Em setembro 12, 2017 14:58 Andreas Radke escreveu:
> New filesystem/systemd packages in testing have changed the way we
> create system users/groups. That's done now via systemd itself or using
> a systemd hook. So every package that needs certain user/group existent
> or certain UID/GID to install its file will depend on systemd to be
> installed on the system.
>
> Check https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55492 - systemd is now part of
> base-devel.
>
> I think it's not consequent not to move it to base group. It's the only
> init system we support and therefor should be expected to be installed
> on every Arch installation from now on. User/group creating packages
> will need it installed in any way.
>
> Opinions?

Hi Andreas,

We have discussed this on IRC and this has been a recurring theme over the
years. I see two main things that derive from this:

1) base is assumed or not? I know some developers don't assume base and list
it on their packages dependencies.

We have been telling our users that base is assumed since at least 2009 [0]

2) The second thing that arises from the first is a broader question which is
what do we consider a minimal arch installation?

If the answer to this question is base, then we certainly *must* have systemd
on it. And we can discuss trimming it down, because I think that base has some
packages that shouldn't be there such as, netctl and dhcpcd (I use both).

If the answer is not base, then we should have something like a base-system
group which contains the bare minimum, like linux, glibc, pacman, systemd and
its dependencies.

But we must decide on this and make it a policy/standard so things like [1] do
not happen anymore. That's just one example, there are many others.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Makepkg&oldid=77357
[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55101