[arch-dev-public] systemd - move to base group and expect it to be installed?

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 21 08:18:15 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-19 18:40, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 14:08 +0200, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
>> My main problem with recent changes to filesystem package is that there
>> is no clear benefits of using sysusers to do the job. Can anyone
>> enlighten me, or is it a change for the sake of change?
>
> This is a step forward to have an Arch working with a transient /etc, as all required
> users/groups will be created by systemd-sysusers.

Do you plan to also fix ca. 1000 other packages in repositories that
ship files in /etc/?

> I didn't find a good reason to refuse to implement this BR and with hindsight
> it's a smart move.Ok, that's not a revolution, but « a change for the sake of
> change»? You are harsh!

It's a valid question though.

>> From top of my head, it caused issues with pacstrapping with testing,
>> dependency cycle,
>> OpenSSH and cups, and I'm certain I missed something.
> You are mixing issues from several changes in filesystem and not related
> systemd-sysusers.So far the solutions looks good to me. Do you want I sum them
> up?Is there one in particular issue you want to discuss outside the bug report?

Because I'm talking about the general process of changes that have been
done and not particular revision. Even if everything looks fine now,
it's still something that should have been sent to arch-dev-public as a
heads up instead of discussing it here only because I expressed concerns
on the bug tracker after the party was over (especially given that you
are hard to catch on IRC).

>> If the gain is ditching few lines of bash from install scriplet, we have
>> wrong priorities…
> What was the gain to change ${CFLAGS} into $CFLAGS to our master plan to
> control the universe?

Whatever you're trying to prove here.