[arch-dev-public] glibc 2.27 based toolchain in [staging]

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Wed Apr 11 10:14:43 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've had too much faith in GCC 8 release schedule. To sweeten the wait
(and catch some possible issues sooner), I'm going to push glibc 2.27
and binutils 2.30 to [staging] in the evening.

The new glibc doesn't ship libnss_nis{,plus} and RPC interface anymore.
Packages that require the last should switch to libtirpc; libnsl shared
library is still provided for backwards compatibility with old ABI, but
dependent packages should be rebuild against standalone libnsl package
(rebuild in archweb will follow soon).

As some users may have used NIS in their nsswitch.conf file, news post
wouldn't hurt. Here's a draft:

Title: glibc 2.27-2 removes support for NIS and NIS+

The new version of glibc removes support for NIS and NIS+. The default
`/etc/nsswitch.conf` file provided by `filesystem` package already
reflects this change. Please make sure to merge pacnew file if it exists
prior to upgrade.

NIS functionality can still be enabled by installing `libnss_nis`
package. There is no replacement for NIS+ in the official repositories.