[arch-dev-public] Dropping pyqt4/pyside1

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Fri Aug 17 18:39:51 UTC 2018

Hi all,
 The latest pyqt4 release makes packaging more complex due to upstream's decision of requiring a private namespaced sip (for mysterious reasons). It is also the last release, so pyqt4 is now officially EOL. I would like to drop it from our repos. It's mostly used as an optional dependency of python packages that also support a pyqt5 backend, so it shouldn't cause much trouble. Other packages that require it (gnuradio, hgview) have alternative UIs (wxwidgets and ncurses respectively). And in any case, pyqt4 is not a build-time dependency, so the pyqt4 UI would still work by installing pyqt4 from AUR. Besides these, the only package that still needs it is ninja-ide. It is ported to PyQt5 in git, so it could be updated to a snapshot.
 I'd also like to drop pyside1, for the same reasons (unused/EOL). This would reduce the number of reverse qt4 dependencies, and bring us closer to dropping it. Any comments or objections?