[arch-dev-public] Dropping KDE4 libs

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 22:39:19 UTC 2018

Le 17/08/2018 à 20:53, Antonio Rojas via arch-dev-public a écrit :

>  I think it's time to drop the KDE4 libraries. They were EOL months ago and most stuff that isn't yet ported to KF5 is dead upstream. This would allow dropping a number of qt4 libraries and reduce the qt4 reverse dependencies (qt4 has been EOL for 3 years now). Affected packages are:
>  - recorditnow (there are many alternatives available)
>  - ligthdm-kde-greeter (dead upstream, no signs of KF5 porting)
>  - krecipes (dead upstream, no signs of KF5 porting)
>  - kdiff3 (has been ported to KF5 for a while, just needs a release. Could be updated to a snapshot)
>  - pidgin-kwallet (uses kwallet dbus API, so should work with the KF5 version without any modification)
>  - libreoffice-still (would lose the KDE4 VCL, which is quite buggy anyway. LO-fresh has a new VCL that uses KF5 file dialog)
>  - amarok: it has a WIP KF5 port, but it's not quite ready and development is stalled. IMO we should let it rest in peace - I can keep a KF5 snapshot in kde-unstable for a while but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere any time soon at the current development pace. There are a few alternatives in the repos.
>
>  Comments?

Well, I think all of those can go away. Amarok has seen so few activity
over the past years that I would also consider it dead. Plus it’s quite
an huge app, so porting is a lot of work, which will never happen at the
current pace for sure. And KDE has been developing a new music player to
replace it as the default KDE experience music player. ;)

Bruno