[arch-dev-public] Automating package conflict resolution whenever possible (xorgproto/libxfont dependency conflict)

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 14 00:48:14 UTC 2018

On 02/13/2018 06:56 PM, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Eli and I disagree about how dependency conflicts should be handled when
> packaging.  This was prompted by the libxfont dependency conflict arising
> from recent xorgproto changes [1].
>
> [...]
>
> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57495

Is there a reason you took a private disagreement to the public mailing
lists:

- regarding which you have confused me for the primary person
  disagreeing with you
- when in fact there are three people who directly disagree with you on
  that very issue, as I told you in that private discussion
- regarding which this public post seems to essentially exist in order
  to, I dunno, shame me into responding in view of the world at large,
  again despite my not being the only or indeed the primary person who
  you are actually disagreeing with?

I would like to register my formal objection to your treating this as a
personal disagreement between the two of us. I explained why this was
not an "Eli Schwartz thinks so" thing in that private email -- you
disliked my explanation and asked for more proof, while *simultanously*
CC'ing arch-dev-public with claims about how I "and possibly others"
disagree with you.

You did not give me a chance to respond to your new question before
CC'ing arch-dev-public.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User