[arch-dev-public] Windows Subsystem Linux - Arch Linux as official container?

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 29 23:22:11 UTC 2018

[2018-01-29 22:00:28 +0100] Christian Rebischke via arch-dev-public:
> They even implemented a subsystem on Windows 10 for executing natively
> ELF binaries on Windows. This system is based on docker images and some
> nice guys from Microsoft have asked Allan and me if Arch Linux would be
> interested to participate in this project.
>
> The steps for getting into the project are:
>
> * Signup in the Microsoft Appstore (we would get a free voucher if we
>   want to participate) as Organization (we need the ok from one of our
>   trademark holders for this step)
> * modifying our docker container a little bit
> * pushing it into the microsoft appstore

Setups like this make me uncomfortable for one reason: we would not be
in control of this docker image or its distribution. This officially
endorsed Arch Linux image could be modified in any way Microsoft wants.
I'd be really surprised if we did not grant them this right as part of
agreeing to their appstore terms. Sure, we could notice the changes
eventually and pull back our official endorsement, but would they have
to stop using our trademark the moment we told them to? (That's not
abstract paranoia either: things like this happened with sourceforge
and, well, is Microsoft more trustworthy than Dice? Tough question.)

On the other hand, my profound lack of interest for WSL means I truly
have no idea whether this can be useful for others, so I'll vote blank.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan