[arch-dev-public] Improving the package guidelines

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 13 18:48:19 UTC 2018

On 06/28/2018 05:06 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> The one case where this would make a difference is where 2to3 is being
> used, so depending on which version of python you use the actual source
> code is modified. I think the guidelines should only mention that "if
> 2to3 is used, you'll need to make copies of the source [...]". Honestly
> I consider this copying around when unnecessary to be the equivalent of
> inserting "sleep 5" everywhere.
>
> 2to3 being run as part of setup.py build is hardly the common case, it's
> not even recommended at all, really.

Latest revision to these guidelines clarifying the 2to3 case
specifically:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=User:Foxboron/Python_packaging_guidelines&diff=529424&oldid=528011

So far the page seems pretty good, time to consider merging it I guess.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User