[arch-dev-public] Removing 'orphan' python2 modules

jan at jgc.homeip.net jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Jun 29 07:48:07 UTC 2018

Jelle van der Waa schreef op 2018-06-27 21:35:
> Hi All,
>
> Our repository contains a lot of python2 modules which are required by
> any package in the repository. I'd like to propose to remove these
> modules pre-emptively since they serve no purpose and python2 is dead.
> We should strive to be a modern distro, so promoting Python3 should be
> big part of it :)
>

> Please reply if you have objections.
>
> A list of modules / programs can be obtained as following or viewed
> here
> [1]
>
> $ pacman -Sqs python2 > list
> $ expac -S '%n %N' -l ' ' - < list | awk NF==1
>
> [1] http://pkgbuild.com/~jelle/python2_modules.txt

Python 2.7 is supported until 2020, that's 18 months from now. I agree
that we should limit the orphaned python2 modules as much as possible,
but please don't kill the ones that are built from a split package that
also builds python3 packages. This would mean removing the python2 parts
from the PKGBUILD, moving the python2 part to AUR and create a lot of
duplicated effort when updating these packages.