[arch-dev-public] RFC: Dropping -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE from packages using cmake

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 13 13:17:12 UTC 2018

On March 13, 2018 2:07:31 PM GMT+01:00, Bruno Pagani via arch-dev-public <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org> wrote:
>Le 13/03/2018 à 13:42, Antonio Rojas via arch-dev-public a écrit :
>
>> El martes, 13 de marzo de 2018 11:23:07 (CET) Bruno Pagani via
>arch-dev-public escribió:
>>> Some projects seems to default to Debug instead of None… So should
>we
>>> specify a BUILD_TYPE of None instead of Release?
>>>
>> Not sure if it's a good idea to systematically override the build
>type when it has been explicitely set by upstream. Some projects may be
>doing so for good reasons. Although explicitely setting it to Debug in
>a release tarball seems odd, do you have any example of such a project?
>

>The one I had in mind:
>https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt#L122
>
>Release tarball is the same, they don’t change anything w.r.t. CMake in
>release tarball. Maybe it’s just one project and all other Arch Linux
>packages are not affected, but dropping BUILD_TYPE automatically at
>repo
>scale does not seems a good idea. I would prefer a todo list with
>instructions on checking what BUILD_TYPE and more importantly FLAGS
>where actually used by the build, even if I know you would rather have
>avoided one.

I think a TODO and checking flags would be a good idea, I also encountered similar things and even somehow ignoring flags fully but provide custom switches to set them.
If we touch this on a distro scale anyway, now would be a good time to ensure our distro FLAGS are indeed set for cmake stuff as we expect. Obviously there are weird things going on in some of them :p

Cheers,
Levente