[arch-dev-public] New permissions on ArchWiki

Alad Wenter alad at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 2 13:02:09 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

New user groups have been deployed to the wiki (thanks to Dario and
Bluewind [1]), and I've started migrating DeveloperWiki and the
developer accounts accordingly. More information on the groups can be
found at [2]; I will give a short summary below.

1) DeveloperWiki pages can now be edited by the "cosysop" group, the
former group for wiki maintainers. It is a weaker form of "sysop" or the
group meant for purely administrative tasks such as deletion of pages.

As such, I have added the "cosysop" group to developer wiki accounts. To
avoid extraneous permissions on the wiki where they would otherwise not
be required, "sysop" rights were removed from these accounts if present.

If for some reason you still require the "sysop" right, please send me
an email off-list. User rights may be viewed under [3].

2) The "cosysop" and "sysop" groups are distinct from the "roles" as we
commonly know them. In particular, every TU is now part of the "archtu"
group, every staff member of the "archstaff" group, and every developer
part of the "archdev" group.

These groups in themselves have no additional permissions, and serve for
easy identification of staff members on the wiki.

3) When groups are changed on a wiki account, the owner is notified with
an email that his user page has changed. [4] However, no changes are
visible in the history. This appears to be a bug in MediaWiki.

If there are further questions, please let me know.

Alad

[1] https://github.com/archlinux/archwiki/pull/20
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchWiki:Access_levels_and_roles
[3] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Special:UserRights