[arch-dev-public] TU application process

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 6 19:49:25 UTC 2018

[2018-11-06 12:13:54 +0100] Bruno Pagani via arch-dev-public:
> Le 06/11/2018 à 11:37, Allan McRae a écrit :
> > But because you asked my opinion, I think a TU council is
> > a really, really, really bad idea.  No need to set some TUs above
> > others.
> Well some already are, because they are devs too.

I do not understand this. When TUs vote, those who also happen to be
devs only have one ballot each, just as any other TU. So how are they
"set above" others? Being a dev does not grant you any extra TU powers,
does it?

> > We have never had a formal hierarchy in the developers (apart
> > from our glorious leader),
> Here again I would argue that they are devs that have [core] pushing
> rights, as well as devs that are Master Key holders. So even if you
> don’t want to write this black on white, this actually means a small
> group of people have the real control over the distro (technically,
> Master Key holders could revoke everyone else).

I personally see the holding of master keys as a bureaucratic chore
which I'm glad to have other people doing. Likewise, any dev with
nonzero experience on the team can have access to [core] by just asking.

Contrast this false hierarchies with the fact that anyone can send an
email to arch-dev-public saying "I'm going to do this; any objections?"
and a lack of replies from the community means "Feel free to go ahead."

So there really is no hierarchy in the sense that no specific people
decide what others can and cannot do. Like Allan said, I think this
system has worked very well for Arch.

> > and are instead run by those who step up to
> > lead what needs done. I believe that this is what makes Arch work, and
> > governance would be detrimental to the distribution as a whole.
> Because you think Arch work, we (as some TUs/devs) think they are a
> number of issues.

We have certainly not run out of things to improve, but I seriously
doubt that more bureaucracy will do anything to help.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan