[arch-dev-public] Dropping Qt4

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 28 10:44:45 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Now that mumble has been ported to Qt5, I think it's time to finally drop
Qt4, which has been EOL for 4 years. Most stuff that still depends on it
has been dead upstream for many years. Here is a full list of applications
(not libraries or plugins, which can be dropped once applications are
gone):

clementine - Qt5 port exists in git for years but no release - some distros
ship a git snapshot, there's also the strawberry Qt5 fork
fbreader - There's a patch to port to Qt5 in AUR
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fbreader-qt5/
freemat - Last released 6 years ago, there seems to be a Qt-free version at
https://sourceforge.net/p/freemat/code/HEAD/tree/branches/FreeMat5/ but
with no activity for 2 years
gebabbel - Last released >10 years ago, gpsbabel already provides a Qt5 UI
gnuradio - Qt UI can be disabled until it is ported
hydrogen - Qt5 beta version (>1 year old) available
keepassx{,2} - We have keepass and keepassxc already
launchy - Qt5 fork available at https://github.com/Slesa/launchy/
openssh-askpass - can actually be compiled with Qt5
qmpdclient - Last released 8 years ago, many alternatives available
tipp10 - Qt5 fork available at https://gitlab.com/a_a/tipp10/
tuxcards - Last released 9 years ago, many alternatives available
v4l2ucp - Last released 9 years ago

I propose to move those who can to Qt5 forks, and disable the Qt5 bits (if
possible) or completely drop the other ones. Any objections?