[arch-dev-public] Dropping Qt4

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 28 21:26:05 UTC 2019

On 4/28/19 6:44 AM, Antonio Rojas via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that mumble has been ported to Qt5, I think it's time to finally
> drop Qt4, which has been EOL for 4 years. Most stuff that still depends
> on it has been dead upstream for many years. Here is a full list of
> applications (not libraries or plugins, which can be dropped once
> applications are gone):
>
> clementine - Qt5 port exists in git for years but no release - some
> distros ship a git snapshot, there's also the strawberry Qt5 fork
> fbreader - There's a patch to port to Qt5 in AUR
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fbreader-qt5/
> freemat - Last released 6 years ago, there seems to be a Qt-free version
> at https://sourceforge.net/p/freemat/code/HEAD/tree/branches/FreeMat5/
> but with no activity for 2 years
> gebabbel - Last released >10 years ago, gpsbabel already provides a Qt5 UI
> gnuradio - Qt UI can be disabled until it is ported
> hydrogen - Qt5 beta version (>1 year old) available
> keepassx{,2} - We have keepass and keepassxc already
> launchy - Qt5 fork available at https://github.com/Slesa/launchy/
> openssh-askpass - can actually be compiled with Qt5
> qmpdclient - Last released 8 years ago, many alternatives available
> tipp10 - Qt5 fork available at https://gitlab.com/a_a/tipp10/
> tuxcards - Last released 9 years ago, many alternatives available

https://github.com/eli-schwartz/tuxcards port seems to be simple, ISTR
trying to ping jlichtblau and ask if this works for him.

> v4l2ucp - Last released 9 years ago
>
> I propose to move those who can to Qt5 forks, and disable the Qt5 bits
> (if possible) or completely drop the other ones. Any objections?

On the optdepends front:

i7z: Submitted PR at https://github.com/afontenot/i7z/pull/2

graphviz has the optional gvedit program, which looks like it is ported
to qt5 on master.
https://gitlab.com/graphviz/graphviz/commit/dd4ca75c2d074672b1a4967a5fc37d14ade5c6d6
Its last release is years old though.

Most other things seem to be "qt4 bindings for X", which only exist
because we build --with-kitchen-sink. I cannot fathom objections to
disabling those bits.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User