[arch-dev-public] [arch-dev] State of OCaml-Update (stuck by deprecation of camlp4)

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Thu Aug 8 08:29:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 06-08-19, Jürgen Hötzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately it is not possible to compile camlp4 with OCaml >= 4.08.

In the meantime, camlp4 got a (last) update to build with OCaml 4.08:

    https://github.com/ocaml/camlp4/issues/151#issuecomment-519074190
    https://github.com/ocaml/camlp4/releases

As the ticket says, this is the final update for camlp4, so we have to be
prepared for OCaml 4.09 and beyond.

> But some well known packages depend on this preprocessor. E.g. :Haxe,
> lablgtk2 (therefore also: Unison and Coq).

Eli is right here, camlp4 is not needed for release versions of lablgtk2.
From http://lablgtk.forge.ocamlcore.org/changes2.txt :

    2016.03.06 [Jacques]
      * remove build dependency on camlp4 (still needed for tree version)

On a slightly related note, lablgtk3 seems to be progressing nicely, and
support has been recently added to Coq (it will be part of the upcoming
8.10 release):

    http://lablgtk.forge.ocamlcore.org/
    https://github.com/coq/coq/pull/9279

> I don't see that these projects will be migrated to camlp5 or ppx in the
> near future. Therefore there are only 2 options from my point of view:
>
> 1. OCaml-4.07 and Ocaml >= 4.08 in [EXTRA].
> 2. removal of Haxe, lablgtk2, Unison and Coq.
>
> I prefer 1. What do you think?
>
> Same issue discussed on Debian Bug Tracker:

So, now the situation has unblocked.  Feel free to rebuild my OCaml
packages, or open a TODO list and I will rebuild them.

Baptiste