[arch-dev-public] RFC: (devtools) Changing default compression method to zstd

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sat Dec 14 23:45:15 UTC 2019

On 12/14/19 1:58 PM, Robin Broda via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> We are on our way to getting zstd merged.
>
> The planned merge window for this is **2019/12/27** at around 20:00 Europe/Berlin time.
> Several team members will be meeting at the 36c3, so we figured this is a good opportunity to do this,
> as it makes sure that several people are aware, ready, and together for this - should anything immediately explode.
>
> This has been ACK'd by anthraxx. Foxboron is also aware.
> I have been mentioning this on IRC, and discussed it with anthraxx via e-mail.
> This mail serves to formalize the plans.
>
> **There is one hard requirement on the merge happening:**
>
> All critical Arch Linux production infrastructure needs to be ready.
> The known-unsolved problems are labelled below, please see to them if any of you can.
> I will also take a look myself, but I do not have much involvement with these parts of the puzzle,
> so I would really appreciate someone with more in-depth knowledge taking a look.
>
> If the known issues are solved and nothing major comes up, the deployment will happen as planned.
>
> On 12/8/19 1:39 PM, Robin Broda via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> What still needs to be done:
>> - infrastructure:
>>   - nginx rewrite rules hardcode xz PKGEXT https://github.com/archlinux/infrastructure/blob/7d0ad69030982875f862bc4916629ac3a74d1c49/roles/archive/templates/nginx.d.conf.j2#L32-L35
>>   - archive config(?) hardcodes PKGEXT https://github.com/archlinux/infrastructure/blob/7d0ad69030982875f862bc4916629ac3a74d1c49/roles/archive/templates/archive.conf.j2#L15
>
> Unsolved: This needs fixing. I would *really* like someone from devtools to take a look at this, but if unsolved i will also attempt to fix it.
>
>> - archivetools: https://github.com/archlinux/archivetools/issues/6
>
> Unsolved: This needs fixing. If nobody else gets to it, I'll see to it myself.

Oof, this looks a bit confusing. It's using the $PKGEXT variable as both
a /usr/bin/find glob pattern and a sed injection (counting the number of
characters and trimming them off using .{number} !)

See https://github.com/archlinux/dbscripts/pull/4 for inspiration in
working around this misuse.

--
Eli Schwartz