[arch-dev-public] Proposal: minimal base system

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:38:26 UTC 2019

Le 05/02/2019 à 12:54, Allan McRae a écrit :
> On 5/2/19 9:06 pm, Bruno Pagani wrote:

>>> "Anyone knowing their stuff" is the essentially the stated Arch target
>>> audience.
>> So apparently we did not answer all concerns here. I don’t expect Arch
>> users to know thing so well that they know exactly what tools are in
>> which packages when they install Arch for the first time. I think we
>> should not mistake Arch Power Users, people that have a level of
>> knowledge above Arch Users, that are just generic Linux Power Users.
>>
>>> So, the definitions of the sets of packages are:
>>>
>>> base-system - essential packages we assume everyone has installed
>>> (previous definition of base...)
>> To be clearer, the new proposition would be to call this arch-system to
>> avoid confusion with base. However, note that this “previous definition
>> of base” is definitively not that clear: when I installed Arch, I read
>> things as “base is a convenient helper to get almost every standard
>> tools you could need to do your install”.
>>
>>> base group - base-system plus other packages some people probably
>>> want/expect and support packages for filesystem types most people don't
>>> actually need.
>> For me, base will be what it has ever been: a fast way to get started as
>> an Arch beginner.
>>> Maybe slightly facetious on that last one, but I don't see a clear need
>>> for the base group once base-system exists.
>> Because, as an Arch dev, you definitively qualify as an Arch Power
>> Users. I wouldn’t use base either for myself, but I firmly believe most
>> Arch beginners would.
>>
>> Does that make sense to you, or do you still think every new Arch User
>> should already know exactly what is required to get started?
>>
> If someone knows they want to set up logical volumes and drive
> encryption, then they know enough to install lvm and cryptsetup.  Same
> with jfsutils, xfsutils.   So I don't think they should be in the base
> group (e.g. I would not call jfsutils a standard tool).

Maybe. As I said in my answer to Bartłomiej, I don’t know if beginners
know enough things to install what they need beyond the minimum system,
or if they just read the wiki about doing this or that, which might
assume they have the current base group installed.

> If we remove the excess from base, then we are down to a very small
> difference between that and archlinux-system.  Only e2fsprogs, man, and
> an editor different?
>
> So I see the proposed archlinux-system group being essentially what base
> should be.

That is because you see base as the minimal system. So I’ll turn this
differently: do you have objections against having, outside of the
minimal meta-package described in our proposal, a packages group of
“relatively standard” tools, that is purposed at beginner wanting to
have only one simple pacstrap command to issue in order to get started?

Or put it yet another way: outside of this base group, does our proposal
of a minimal metapackage suits you? If so, why does it matter to you
that there is also a base group, provided the name is not subject to
confusion, that has this metapackage plus other tools (that e.g. people
coming from random other distro would expect to have at hand from the
start), knowing that you would likely have almost no interactions with
this group? If not, then I’m even more importantly waiting for your
comments.

I’m genuinely interested in your point of view on those questions, maybe
they are some inconveniences I don’t see but you do.

Regards,
Bruno