[arch-dev-public] Improving overall experience for contributors

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Wed Feb 6 21:06:38 UTC 2019

On 05/23/17 at 10:23pm, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> <snip>
> infrastructure side (which is in fact too generic term that could be
> better described). I am totally in love with What can I do for
> Mozilla?[1] which is open source, so why not steal this wonderful idea?
> But it also means we need a way to communicate with people interested in
> helping us: at least an IRC channel and new mailing list.

I still believe we should take some initiative on thse issues. What we
have so far is:

- Getting involved page, not sure where it's linked from? Only findable
  on the wiki. [1] Which links to a nice list of projects with an
  already dedicated irc channel and mailing lists. (I was not even aware
  of #archlinux-projects).
  But does anyone ever find this page? I think we should at least link
  it from archlinux.org.

- The mozilla idea, I'm up for it? Should we host it under
  whatcanidofor.archlinux.org? Note that this also requires some effort
  from the team's side. We should however keep our bugtracker tidy and
  maybe label "new contributor" tickets since this is quite crucial to
  get new people in. I however have also some thoughts on things which
  these days have no tickets, but could be worked on for example:

  - revamping the Ruby guidelines. They should be as nice as the Python
    ones
  - Hardening our custom systemd services and creating bugs with
    patches, for example grafana has hardening applied now. [5]
  - Man pages for more devtools binaries.

  I'm quite sure others others have such projects on their mind which
  are not publicly findable yet. (sogrep to devtools for example)

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Getting_involved
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Projects
[3] https://github.com/archlinux/archweb/issues
[4] https://github.com/archlinux/pyalpm/issues