[arch-dev-public] Proposal: minimal base system

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:40:08 UTC 2019

Le 06/02/2019 à 00:26, Eli Schwartz via arch-dev-public a écrit :
> On 2/5/19 4:31 PM, Gaetan Bisson via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> Bruno,
>>
>> We all seem to agree that [base] plays no satisfactory role in its
>> current state, so I think Allan definitely has a point: let us first
>> turn [base] into something useful, and only then wonder if we need
>> something more.
>>

>> [2019-02-05 14:38:26 +0100] Bruno Pagani via arch-dev-public:
>>> Maybe. As I said in my answer to Bartłomiej, I don’t know if beginners
>>> know enough things to install what they need beyond the minimum system,
>>> or if they just read the wiki about doing this or that, which might
>>> assume they have the current base group installed.
>> Then the wiki should just be updated to say: "first, install jfsutils."
>> It's up to the wiki to document the project, not up to the project to
>> follow the wiki's rule.

>>> That is because you see base as the minimal system.
>>> So I’ll turn this
>>> differently: do you have objections against having, outside of the
>>> minimal meta-package described in our proposal, a packages group of
>>> “relatively standard” tools, that is purposed at beginner wanting to
>>> have only one simple pacstrap command to issue in order to get started?
>> Yes because those two things seem the same to me. Or at any rate their
>> difference is too small to be worth the distinction. Perhaps I'm not
>> understanding what exact roles you envision for [base] and [minimal-
>> system]; it would help to know exactly what packages you would put in
>> the former and not the latter. Allan suggested e2fsprogs, man, and vim.
>> We can certainly agree that three is too few to warrant creating two
>> distinct groups.
> less, because I cannot imagine an interactive console without a pager
>
> texinfo, for the same reason one would want man-db. (Also, GNU tools
> tend to have terrible manpages, so you kind of need texinfo even if you
> just pipe it to less).
>
> man-pages, to get a good starting collection of things to use man-db to
> read (section 3, 4, 5, 7, and 1p will be quite bare otherwise).
>
> systemd-sysvcompat to simplify the kernel command line.
>

> s-nail, because some people apparently assume a complete system should
> include the "mail" binary for completeness' sake.
>
> dhcpcd and netctl, commonly used for networking by people who don't
> understand the glories of NetworkManager. (Also the archiso.)
>
> which, because too many things on the internet recommend using it to
> find out whether/where a program is installed, and muscle memory
> therefore means people will instinctively try that instead of using
> command -v/type -a

> In fact, most of the base group, with the grievous exception of:
>
> - jfsutils/reiserfsprogs/xfsprogs which assume quite odd things about
>   non-default and usually exotic filesystems, and
>
> - lvm2/mdadm which offend my soul due to things like
>   https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61040 screwing up the system even for
> [...]

Just in case it wasn’t clear, my answer would have been mostly the same
as Eli’s.

So, Gaetan, Allan and Bartłomiej (or anyone else for that matter), do
you have further comments/questions regarding this, does the existence
of the base group alongside the arch/minimal-system now makes sense or
would you still prefer to go without it?

Regards,
Bruno