[arch-dev-public] Proposal: minimal base system

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 12 22:17:23 UTC 2019

On 2/12/19 7:16 PM, Gaetan Bisson via arch-dev-public wrote:
> [2019-02-12 16:40:08 +0100] Bruno Pagani via arch-dev-public:
>> Just in case it wasn’t clear, my answer would have been mostly the same
>> as Eli’s.
>>
>> So, Gaetan, Allan and Bartłomiej (or anyone else for that matter), do
>> you have further comments/questions regarding this, does the existence
>> of the base group alongside the arch/minimal-system now makes sense or
>> would you still prefer to go without it?
>
> Allan and I have both stated that we don't want to introduce a new group
> since we believe it would be highly redundant with base.
>
> Nothing new has been said since our last messages except Eli's post
> which argues that the base group is largely inadequate in its current
> state. This further supports our proposal that base should be improved
> instead of introducing a new group.
>
> So I really don't see what arguments could have changed our minds...
> It's also strange to me how you can concur with Eli's post without
> agreeing with our conclusions.
>
> To go forward I suggest you propose a clear definition of the perfect
> "minimal system" group you'd want to have, along with a proposed list of
> packages. When consensus is reached, we adopt this list of packages for
> base and put this definition on the wiki.
>
> Cheers.

To make it as short as possible, the idea is not just to strip down the
base group further but primarily to not use a group in the first place.
It should be replaced with something that is consistent within itself
over the whole lifetime of the system.
Groups are the wrong tool for such a set: you explicitly install all
those packages so they won't automatically be mark as not-required
anymore once removed from that group, as well as new additions are not
consistent during the lifetime of the system.

Cheers.