[arch-dev-public] Mongodb and SSPL

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 16 14:35:11 UTC 2019

On 17/1/19 12:02 am, Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Yo!
>
> As probably some of you have realized, there is a discussion regarding mongodb
> and the relicense from AGPLv3 to SSPLv1.

<snip>

> Under section "5. Conveying Modified Source Versions" the most relevant part for
> us is section "a)".
>
>     a) The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified it,
>     and giving a relevant date.
>
> Which means we need to give some heads-up that the source is changed.

I looked at what changes are made:

  # Broken tls13 support, removing to fix build
  sed -i '/counts.tls13/d' src/mongo/util/net/ssl_manager_openssl.cpp

So I'd agree that is modified enough that the rest of the conditions apply.

My conclusion is, having this package in the repos would require too
much interpretation of a non-standard license to ensure compliance.
Drop the package.

Allan