[arch-dev-public] Proposal: minimal base system

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 21 23:58:54 UTC 2019

On 1/21/19 6:53 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I agree with this package list. It's missing mkinitcpio though.

No it is not, mkinitcpio is definitively not needed.

It's only required in order to execute the pacman hooks for a linux
kernel package (or do so manually). And core/linux is not required to
use archlinux, although it is required to boot it on bare metal.

The most recent version of my PKGBUILD draft for this "base-system"
PKGBUILD (which I shared with Levente during the planning stages of this
proposal) can be found here: https://paste.xinu.at/KZmYqQwIO/

I've actually listed

optdepends=('linux: bare metal support')

And IMO that is exactly where mkinitcpio belongs -- as a hard dependency
for any package which intends to implement a kernel for booting to bare
metal.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User