[arch-dev-public] New ideas for notifying users about (minor) changes

Christian Rebischke Chris.Rebischke at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 30 00:44:37 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 10:16:17AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 30/7/19 8:47 am, Christian Rebischke via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> > I got assigned to this issue here:
> >
> > https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62823
> >
> > The users would like to have a notice in pre/post install/upgrade
> > notifications via pacman .install files.
> >
> > I am not a fan of spamming such news via pacman and I think the
> > installation/upgrade process should be clean of such messages, but I
> > don't have access to the news tool on our website as well.
>
> I think this is a clear case of user intervention needed.   So a
> post_install message (restricted to the update where intervention was
> needed) is appropriate.
>
> If the package was more widely used, we have the News section of the
> website.
>
> I don't think anything else is needed.
>
> Allan

One problem I see with the News section is that it's Dev only. I
wouldn't even know who I need to ask (and I am TU for several years
now). I mean I could just ask around in the IRC, but it would be nice to
have this at least documented somewhere. Another question is how fast
this will happen.. you will always have a delay if you need to forward
the message to another person first before publishing it.

I guess I will stick with post_upgrade messages for strongswan, thanks.
And I will definitely have a look at this changelog feature (either as
news replacement or for providing the actual changelog of the software).