[arch-dev-public] bringing vivaldi browser to community

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 10:12:40 UTC 2019

3 years have passed since I first proposed to bring vivaldi into
community. Now there is a clear differentiation between what vivaldi
offers out-of-the box compared to other browsers.

Vivaldi offers a ton of customisation features out of the box, and is
also able to just use the chrome/ium addons from the chrome webstore.

Personally I'm using vivaldi as my main browser since somewhere in 2015
(shortly after the first beta was released) and the key features no
other browser currently offers are:
- webpanels
- quick commands
- tabtiling
- tabstacking
- tabbar positioning

I'll bring it in the same way as with opera, where you have the
webbrowser + separate packge with libffmpeg.so to allow the playback of
proprietary formats like mp4.