[arch-dev-public] bringing vivaldi browser to community

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 2 02:11:04 UTC 2019

On 6/1/19 5:43 PM, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On 2/6/19 1:53 am, Ike Devolder via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> On Sat, 2019-06-01 at 21:30 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>>> You don't seem to
>>> explain why you need to ask in your email.
>>
>> Because it is proprietary and I explain that now there is a valid
>> reason compared to 3 years ago where there was practically no
>> difference between vivaldi, chromium and opera.
>>

> Does the license allow us to have it in the repos?  After a quick look,
> I'd say no.

The license for the AUR package appears to be somehow extracted using
/usr/bin/strings from one of the binary files in the software download.

Assuming it's the same as the one here:
https://vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/

It's absolutely illegal to redistribute it. As per the pinned comment on
the AUR package, it is also available and illegally redistributed as a
repackaged pacman package here: https://repo.herecura.eu/
This should probably be removed too.

Note: there are other proprietary packages shipped in the Arch repos,
but on the unusual occasion where we deem it fitting to provide such
software, we have written authorization from the rights-holders to do so.
As far as I can tell, that is not the case here. If and when it is the
case here, that permission can be added to the
/usr/share/licenses/${pkgname}/ directory of the vivaldi package in the
AUR, to signify that the prebuilt packages are legally redistributable,
either in personally hosted repos or [community].

See the teamspeak3 package for an example implementation.
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PERMISSION.eml?h=packages/teamspeak3

Just because we are not an FSDG distribution which prays at the altar of
Richard Stallman doesn't mean licensing is some sort of silly joke that
no one cares about.

And I don't think it makes sense to say this matters less, if it's being
distributed from someone's personal repo instead of from a multi-member
organization.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User