[arch-dev-public] bringing vivaldi browser to community

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 10:24:01 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-06-01 at 12:12 +0200, Ike Devolder wrote:
> 3 years have passed since I first proposed to bring vivaldi into
> community. Now there is a clear differentiation between what vivaldi
> offers out-of-the box compared to other browsers.
>
> Vivaldi offers a ton of customisation features out of the box, and is
> also able to just use the chrome/ium addons from the chrome webstore.
>
> Personally I'm using vivaldi as my main browser since somewhere in
> 2015
> (shortly after the first beta was released) and the key features no
> other browser currently offers are:
> - webpanels
> - quick commands
> - tabtiling
> - tabstacking
> - tabbar positioning
>
> I'll bring it in the same way as with opera, where you have the
> webbrowser + separate packge with libffmpeg.so to allow the playback
> of
> proprietary formats like mp4.

As stated by some on IRC I could just have dropped in the repos and be
done with it. No one would have complained I guess. But to be fair, I
personally think you have the right to know I want to maintain a
package for proprietary software. And if there is a consensus against
it I will definatly not package the proprietary stoftware in our repos.

And thanks to the constructive input I will make sure it is obvious we
have the rights for redistribution. That was also mostly my goal, get
input if I'm missing something or overlooked something before bringing
it in.