[arch-dev-public] Proposal for a new organisation structure

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 2 16:09:41 UTC 2019

[2019-06-02 06:06:35 +0200] Christian Rebischke:
> On Sat, Jun 01, 2019 at 04:10:45PM -1000, Public mailing list for Arch Linux development wrote:
> Thanks for your mail. I remember now that you have told me this some
> months ago. This leads to a question: Why are these types of dicussions
> not public?

Our discussion some months ago was public, just like this one.

Most discussions among devs are public. Some aren't because we feel
certain sensitive topics are better discussed in an environment where
nobody is afraid to speak their mind. That includes topics like the
addition of new developers, although like Lukas said in most cases those
solely contain positive support for the proposal.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, all devs are very happy with this
process and do not want to change it.

> Well, that's point. I don't really think the current system works as it
> could be. Why being happy with the current state of organisation if we
> could achieve much more with a more simplified and more contributor
> friendly model?

Feel free to explain what does not currently work as best as it could,
what could be simplified, what could be more contributor friendly, etc.
If you discussed specific problems, we could all have a go at proposing
solutions a little more realistic than overhauling our organisational
structure...

> If you and the others see no point in
> changing the current structure this is totally fine, I just think it's
> important to rethink processes from time over time.

What I think is most wrong with your current and previous "proposals" is
that you obviously don't understand how the present dev system works,
yet you want to change it! Have some humility, man, and remember this
system has worked for about a hundred devs and for over a decade.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan